Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Share the Love

I definitely want to adopt a pet sometime before I die. Hopefully I will as soon as I stop living in limbo, both house and job-wise. If I could I would have brought home a dog months ago- years ago- I would have.
Although I LOVE cruising the “pets” section of Craigslist, I think that when I finally adopt a dog, he/she will be from a pound or a rescue group. This is because, often, the people on Craigslist are willing to hang onto their pets they find the perfect owner/home for them. Pounds, however, are not as willing and often cycle WONDERFUL dogs through simply to make room for others (whether they’re just as wonderful or not).

Adopting a pet is not as easy a process as many people think. There are Questions to Ask Yourself Before Adopting including: Are you ready to make a long-term commitment? Are you prepared to deal with an animal’s health challenges? What is the right pet for you? These questions are often reasons why pets (like those on Craigslist) are given up in the first place.

Websites such as ASPCA have lots of advice on adopting animals. Definitely check them out and do your research before you open your doors to a lifelong friend! (Don’t forget animals other than cats and dogs need homes, too!)

If you can’t have a pet, don’t want a pet, or just need some practice before adopting a pet, try a virtual pet!

Great Animal Adoption Resources:



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree!! I am dying to get a dog and it absolutely must be from a shelter!