Tuesday, August 19, 2008

There is a need for creativity

I have had this creative itch recently that I just can NOT scratch! I just have this need to MAKE stuff! The problem is, things these days seem way cheaper to simply buy than to make them from scratch- everything from children's desks to apple pie. I say a desk because I have been casually looking for a new desk (since I put my cheapo one together and found that it was designed for a child around the age of 6 - or a person under the height of about 4'5"). While killing time at work the other day, I came across this great DIY desk project- and whattya know? It costs up to $650 to build! A desk for petesake! If you take all that money you would spend on wood, glue, nails and such, you could buy a crucial desk! So to reiterate, why make what you can buy for way cheaper? I know, to get the satisfaction of making something with your hands. Believe me, I get that part, but blowing money is simply not MY kinda satisfaction. Anyways, so here I was trying to come up with a craft... and then it hit me... flower pens! (I know. random). Off I went to that dreaded mega-store on a Saturday afternoon. I got some floral tape, a pack of pens, and 11 fake flowers in a bouquet (for only $2.50!) (Hint: the flowers come off the stem, resulting in the ability to make your own, ideal, bouquet- the pre-made ones were ugly. --- Note: this hint is most likely not supported by management- be sneaky). It's really easy to make these rather cliche and tacky pens- you simply wrap the tape around the stem of the flower and the pen. I found that this is kinda ugly and weird looking so instead I just popped the cap off the top of the pen and shoved the stem down there with a little super glue. It makes the flowers look more "real," if you will. Check 'em!

No comments: