Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Slightly different

Well school started yesterday so my unique and oh so interesting summer thoughts have been replaced by boring, stressful ones involving extensive group projects and other oh so thrilling topics. I will try to spare you details of the classes and will avoid lame blogging highlighting what I ate for lunch and what the weather is like..... and with that, I continue.

I work for a very small nonprofit organization that works with kids in orphanages and detention centers outside the US (I think I'll refrain from naming it at this point... I don't want something I may say in the future to hurt this organization in any way)... I think that what we're doing is awesome and so worth it - kids, who may not have otherwise had a chance, are getting the love and support they deserve. - - - On Friday, a woman came into our office and tried to drop her kids off- we are not an adoption agency, a foster care place, or social workers. The poor woman was bawling as she explained that she was a wife of a military man (who was gone) and not a US citizen. She simply could not afford to care for her children (around 3 and 6) and wanted us to take care of them for her for a while so she could get herself back on her feet. It was SO sad and reminded me of something that you might see on TV- NOT something that happens (or should be happening) in the US in 2008! That situation got me thinking... and I'm not sure that I have completely sorted things out... Was she clean out of options? Move into a smaller house/apartment? Work longer hours? Perhaps even go to a shelter that could take in the small family? I am by no means blaming the woman for her desperate actions - simply pondering the situation- and thinking what I may do if I found myself in the same awful situation. It was clear she had reached the end of the rope - not many (normal/stable) people give up their children out of mere inconvenience.
I know that there are tons of nonprofits out there helping people in the US and that countries need our help. It's just sad. And it's life. Everyone does the best they can - and should help someone else if they are capable even if its something small- kinda like that movie Pay it Forward or those insurance commercials.

Some good organizations doing good things... check 'em out. get inspired.

I was thinking about creating a blog for my work- so people who have gone on trips to see the kids can share stories and pictures with not only eachother but also donors and volunteers/ people who want to get involved. I thought it would also be a great way to share some of the children's stories and allow people to see what is going on - on a more personal/upclose level. What do you think? Let me know.


No comments: